You might wonder what a game for kids and young adults, has in common with panic attack treatment, histamine intolerance, and your health in general? Well, actually a lot.
New Panic Attack Treatment: How playing Minecraft helped me getting through histamine-driven anxiety attacks.
I started playing Minecraft back in 2013 right in the prime of my sickest and fattest time (what up, yo). At that time, I was struggling not only with my health, but also with unemployment. My own company, which I had co-founded, wasn’t going anywhere, and I had back pain all day. On top of that, migraine attacks followed by panic attacks started to make my life a living hell. At that time, I didn’t realize it was the food that was causing all of this. However, I was desperately trying to find a way to calm me down.
One day, I decided to play Minecraft while having a panic attack, something I had never done before. It turned out to be a great idea. Within a week I noticed, how much faster my panic attacks would go away. It was still not perfect, and I still suffered but it was finally bearable. This was the time when I realized, that I had just found a new panic attack treatment for me.
How did playing Minecraft help me dealing with panic attacks?
It’s hard to answer if you’ve never played or seen Minecraft before, but let me ensure you it’s well worth a look. Here are some reasons for you:
- Minecraft is relaxing and calming – There is no goal to the game, therefore you don’t have to do anything.
- You can create stuff, build houses or destroy structures.
- In Minecraft you set and reach your own goals – This helped me a lot to distract me from my panic attack and break the circle my mind was in.
- The soundtrack ist beautiful, relaxing and calming.
- If you’ve played with LEGO in your childhood you will love the simple but detailed environments made entirely out of blocks.
- Minecraft has a great multiplayer, people are usually friendly if you play by the rules – It’s a great way to connect with people and overcome your social anxieties.
- Minecraft is now available on VR like HTC Vive and Oculus Rift
Tip: Use your headphones to get the full experience of Minecraft. You don’t need the newest PC out there to play it, so just install it and enjoy. There is also a mobile version that you can get in the App Store and GooglePlay.
Minecraft ASMR and panic attacks
If you’re not familiar with ASMR, here is a quote from Wikipedia.
Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) is a euphoric experience characterized by a static-like or tingling sensation on the skin that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine, precipitating relaxation.
ASMR has reached some popularity on youtube over the years and is great for fighting a panic attack. I will cover everything you need to know about ASMR in another post.
Here is a great example of a Minecraft ASMR video. It’s one of my favorites when it comes to sleep and panic attacks, enjoy!
If you’d like to play Minecraft on PC feel free to click one of these (affiliate) links to buy it.*
Playing Minecraft is a great way to calm you down while having a panic attack. If playing Minecraft doesn’t work for you as a panic attack treatment, try listening to ASMR videos on youtube. However, the long-term goal should be to not suffer from panic attacks anymore. Research shows that histamine intolerance plays a role in this. If you want to treat yourself, begin with your diet. Change the food you eat, eat healthier and try eating low histamine foods.
* Minecraft is suitable for all audiences and therefore a recommendation to all of you. If you suffer from panic attacks, please consult your doctor. Minecraft is in no way an excuse to not see your doctor. This article is based on my personal experience.